Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A huge milestone

I am 6 weeks post-op! This is an exciting time for two reasons: I am infection-free, and I can resume lifting more than 10 pounds (i.e. my little girl)!

I have SO much to be thankful for.

First, that recovery has gone as well as it has. No infection, no major complications, and improvement in my mobility. Immediately post-op, I was 100% wheelchair dependant. Now, I am 98% walker dependant, 2% unassisted. I haven't needed to use my wheelchair for several days now. I have a new ankle brace to help me walk which is taking a lot of getting used to, but I am optimistic that with it I can gain confidence in my steps.

Second, that I am able to parent my child on my own. I am immensely grateful to all the wonderful people who came to my house to care for her and help me during my recovery. 6 weeks is a long time, and it boggles my mind that it all came together the way it did! I am thrilled to be "on my own" in caring for her, though, she is more obstinate now than she was before surgery. Yikes!

Third, that I have so many people praying for me and thinking positive thoughts! It is difficult for me to remain as positive as my onlookers, until I look back and assess how far I have come.

Now if only I didn't have to struggle through the physical therapy exercises...

3 comments:

  1. Yea!! I will also be praying that some of the obstinence in Kate will wane a little so that parenting might be a little less challenging. You are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Darling Girl: I'm humbled with gratitude Jocelyn to read of how successful your surgery has been.
    yours of course, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jocelyn...just wanted to say hi! Thanks for the comments, we did have fun camping and scenic beach was beautiful...a perfect place for a proposal :) It definately wasn't easy camping with Jacob but he did pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised. I hope you are doing well and that Kate's being a good girl for you. All her picutres are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete