Thursday, March 11, 2010

Big News

I saw my neurologist on 3/9 as a regular "just checking in" appointment. The first item of business was to go over the paperwork and latest request from my employer to permit me to use my wheelchair at work. I don't want to use it to provide patient care, just to help me get around. After that he wrote me some more prescriptions to help me sleep, did the exam (I can do it in my sleep by now), set me up for more IV steroid infusions, and I was on my way. I'll see him again in June. Wow, a whole 3 months this time!

I went to the Rehabilitation Clinic at Good Sam on 3/10 for the next step in the evaluation of the placement of the Baclofen pump. I don't sleep well at night anyway, but this REALLY kept me up the night before! I was worried that for whatever reason, I wouldn't meet the criteria. The Physical Therapist checked me over and recommended the pump. I met with the Registered Nurse (who runs the show at the clinic). She took one look at the amount of my oral dose (I'm up to 140mg/day)and about fell out of her chair! After interviewing me further and reviewing my history, she wanted to make sure I understood what I was getting into. After I said "let's do it", she agreed!

Now for the big news...my test dose is this Tuesday! I am shocked! I thought I'd have to wait another 4 to 6 weeks for this next step, but the planets must have aligned because they could schedule it that quickly. I will be encountering nursing, PT, anesthesia, and my rehab physician. It truly is amazing that all four were available.

If the test dose goes well, I'll be scheduled for surgery. I'll write more about what the test dose procedure entails later. For now, the dishes in the sink are calling...

4 comments:

  1. That is so amazing that they are going to get you in so quickly!! Praise God! Now for continued prayers that test will be successful and that the pump can be placed as quickly. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you Jocelyn. You must have some powerfull friends and family. If anyone deserves the good breaks, it's you. Love, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Alicia said ;).

    You are a strong, amazing, beautiful person and I agree with you, God does have great plans for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are missed and loved. Thank you for sharing this most private time in your life. As your work family, we want to keep you in our hearts and send you our prayers. You are incredibly brave and strong.

    ReplyDelete