Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I wish I had been wearing this T-shirt

My family went to Dairy Queen on Sunday for icecream and to meet up with friends for a visit.  The disabled parking was full which wasn't the issue.  Parked in the closest spot to the door was a big-a**, jacked up, bright red, Dodge Ram with Harley Davidson mudflaps and gardening equipment in the back.  No disabled placard and no disabled license plate.  The truck was parked funny in the space as it was in the striped "no parking" area.

So we parked in the nearest and biggest space to accomodate my little ol' wheelchair.  Shortly after getting in line, who should appear getting into his truck, but a perfectly mobile 60 something year old man.  Now I know what your thinking- disability isn't always obvious.  Or, perhaps he parked there for his passenger.  My husband went out there to talk to the guy with our infant son still strapped in his car seat.  I'm watching intently, all the while aware that a 60 something year old woman keeps eyeing me.  This I am used to as I sort of draw attention to myself; a slim young woman in a wheelchair.

The man is saying something to my husband as he walks past him back into the restaurant to retrieve (you guessed it) his perfectly mobile wife.   First he told my husband that it was none of his business.  It's a good thing he had our son with him; it's what kept the "discussion" from turning sour at that point.  After my husband pointed out that we could not park in that spot, the man's next response was that he had the placard in his pocket and just forgot to put it up.  At this point the woman is corroborating with this story and they are getting in the truck to leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment