Sunday, May 2, 2010

Trip to the ED

When I left the hospital Tuesday afternoon, my physician and the pump clinic RN were concerned about the incision on my back as it seemed to not be entirely closed and was draining a little. They put a new dressing on it and told me call the surgeon's office if it continued to act up.

Wednesday, my mom checked it and there was a tiny little bit but mostly dry. The wound is pink with no outward signs of infection. But Thursday night my husband checked it and there was quite a bit more drainage. The site still looks okay, but of course I'm worried about an infection.

After a few calls to the nurse at the surgeon's office first thing Friday morning, she instructs me to go to the emergency department at Tacoma General. My dear sister dropped everything and took me in as my dear neighbor stood watchful eye over Kate so my husband could still go to work.

I was expecting the worst...labs, scans, readmission, antibiotics, surgery...

The ED physician assessed the wound and drainage, took a culture, and determined that the drainage was the result of a small seroma, or pocket of fluid that had worked it's way loose as I've become more active with bending and twisting. He redressed the wound and said it just needs to heal from the inside out.

Relieved, I was discharged and home by 3:30 in the afternoon. The drainage is continuing, but the site is pink without signs of infection. I see my rehab physician on Tuesday and surgeon on Wednesday. Please continue to pray that I remain infection free!

2 comments:

  1. Jocelyn, I'm praying for you daily!! I tried sending you a text message this weekend but I'm not sure it went through. Feel a big hug, love you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jocelyn-It's Heather from work. I think of you often and have meant to contact you much sooner! I am glad I have finally taken the time to do so. I have read some of your recent blogs and happy to hear that your incision from the surgery did not get infected! I also loved that your mom was able to help you through a really tough night when you were hospitalized. Moms are amazing and I am so thankful for mine too! I do miss seeing your smiling face at work and hope someday you are able to come back! I keep you in my prayers! xoxo

    ReplyDelete