Wednesday, April 28, 2010

First Full Day Home

I cannot begin to thank the countless people who have stepped up and offered a lending hand. From the bottom of my heart...I hope you know I am ever so grateful.

One week ago on the 21st, I had a two hour surgical procedure at Tacoma General Hospital for the placement of an Intrathecal Baclofen medication pump. The pump rests in the lower right quadrant of my abdomen, a catheter is tunneled under my skin to my back, it is inserted through and sutured in the lumbar region of the spine, and then threaded up so that the tip rests at T-9.

The first night at TG I battled a repeat (only worse) of what I experienced following the test dose. Massively low blood levels of baclofen in my body caused my teeth to chatter and legs to twist into stiff, contorted positions. I begged the nurse to call my doctor and give me some oral baclofen. About 40 minutes after the dose, I got sick from pain medicine. I wasn't intending on needing anyone to stay with me, but my Mom stayed even though she had clinicals early in the morning. When I would start into the chattering and start moaning, she'd get up and flex my feet and massage the spasms out of my legs. As my breathing slowed, she'd fix the covers and curl up with her pillow and blanket in the corner. I felt so bad that she stayed all night, but I don't know how I would have gotten through. I love you, Mom.

The next day I was discharged from Tacoma General and admitted to Good Samaritan Hospital's Rehabilitation unit where I immediately started OT (occupational therapy) and PT (physical therapy). Immediately, the dose on the pump was adjusted up and would be two more times (daily) after that. I stayed there a total of five days.
Higher than expected levels of internal and incisional pain made it difficult to keep my head in the game, and nausea from the pain meds made it almost impossible to want to eat anything.

I was discharged home on the 27th. The pain is easing but my strength is yet to return. I will be receiving physical therapy via home health starting tomorrow.

Please pray that my body stave off infection during the next critical 5 weeks and that with good nutrition and rest, my strength will return.

4 comments:

  1. I pray that the worst is behind you and now some serious healing can take place. If you're up for a visit, or someone to toss a load of laundry or run a vacuum or cook a meal, give me a call. I have a pretty flexible schedule. You can find my number on the work phone list.
    Take care,
    Rosanna M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Jocelyn!

    WOW Sister, it sounds like you have been through the ringer.... It's a good thing your such a fighter!!!!

    I will continue my prayers for you. Your folks are gems. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that though.... the love your dad has for you is unmeasurable. His emails just made me feel like I was standing right there in the trenches with you. I told him he missed his calling as an author. HA!

    Keep up the good work. One day at a time... and let people help you, be willing to let them do it.
    I know it's hard sometimes to let others do for you (because that's how us mom's are), but remember that it is also their way of feeling good, needed, and helpful.

    Sending you some love from me... hugs and hugs and hugs.

    Love,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joc! I will for sure be praying for you to remain infection free. I am so proud of you. I am in constant awe of you and your incredible strength. Love you!!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay strong. Stay positive. I will do the same and send you all my best thoughts, wishes and love. Your body will recover and this will soon just be a mountain that you've conquered.

    All my best and I wish I were there to see you,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete