Thursday, April 8, 2010

High Hopes

I had been very hopeful that the pre-surgical consult would occur such that the actual surgery would take place by the end of the month.

When I spoke with the receptionist at the surgeon's office last Thursday, she had told me that I couldn't make an appointment yet because they didn't have my chart notes. She assured me that they'd call me as soon as possible once the notes were received. I believed her, silly me!

A full week has gone by, and on a whim, I called again today...just to see. Lo and behold, they have my chart notes. When I asked when they had been received, she didn't know. I told her I'd been waiting for a call and she didn't respond. My tone for the remainder of the conversation changed.

She proceeds to explain to me that the surgeon does consults on Mondays in Tacoma, and at sporadic outlying clinics on Thursdays. She asks me where I'd like to schedule the appointment. I proceed to explain to her that the location didn't matter; I needed the soonest available appointment.

April 29th.

I asked to be placed on the cancellation list. "You would like to cancel your appointment?" No, I explained, I would like to be notified when someone ELSE cancels THEIR appointment. "Oh, that's not possible because you are a new patient." Okay, fine.

So not one hour later, the pump clinic RN calls me. "I see you have an appointment." Yes I replied, a little disgruntled. I told her they wouldn't put me on a cancellation list. She chuckled and said, "well, I made a call and talked to the right person, and they will be calling you if or when there is a cancellation". Needless to say, I thanked her profusely!

She is my angel and she knows which strings to pull and whose bell to ring. Now, I am praying for a cancellation such that I can get last minute childcare and physically get to the location on time! Yikes!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Jocelyn,
    I have a friend who had this done. The first time I saw her after it was done was incredible. She was using her hands and moving oh so well. Good luck. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for a cancellation at a time that is practical for you. I am so thankful that things are moving forward, but I will continue praying for them to move quicker! Love you, Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you encounter people in the medical field you will remember those that went above and beyond, or extended that extra bit of TLC, and you will remember the ones who made things more difficult by a hurtful comment or making things unnecessarily stressful. Funnily enough you won't remember the ones who are just fine and average at their jobs. I learned this 26 years ago when I had a baby born with problems, and it has shaped the type of nurse that I strive to be.

    I will pray that your timeline is moved up and that God will surround you with more angels. Love, Rosanna

    ReplyDelete